Monday, January 23, 2012

We made it through the holidays

This was a difficult Holiday season. It was hard to see mom so ill. She didn't want to do much. I'm thankful that I got to spend so much time with her though. I hope see enjoyed some of it.

She has declined very rapidly in the last month. She is very weak, rigid and slow. I fear that she will not be able to walk for much longer. Her right leg tremors and is much weaker than the left. She scares me whenever she is walking. I try to get her out or at least up everyday though, because I know it is good for her. Her vision has deteriorated also. From what I can tell, all she can see is blurry outlines of everything. Her speech is probably the most noticeable decline. I can barely understand her, and visitors that don't spend everyday with her have even more trouble. The swallowing issues which go hand and hand with the speech, has also worsened. I believe this is the reason for her loss of appetite. Shes scared that she is going to choke. Every meal I have to attempt to convince her to eat and drink something. She's down to 101 lbs. She should be eating mechanically altered food and thickened liquids, but she absolutely will not eat or drink them.

She has an appointment with the neurologist next week, due to the decline. We'll see what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment