Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mom Lost her Battle with PSP

On Saturday afternoon of June 23, Mom lost her battle with PSP. The nurses believe a urinary tract infection caused her to develop sepsis. The nurses had Identified the UTI 24 hours before her passing. The Process moved very quickly. I have to say, Hospice and their employes were absolutely wonderful throughout this process. I cant say enough about how great they were, and how grateful we were to have them there with us. Thank You So Much Hospice!

Hospice had wanted to give Mom "The gift of the day". We had a room rented to basically have a family reunion and cook out for Mom. She loved food and Family.

On Friday I had made Mom an appointment at the salon, to get her hair done for the party. While we were at the salon she started to complain of stomach pain. By the time she was done, she became unresponsive. I called the nurse on the way home. She quickly arrived and did an assessment. She pulled my wife and I out to our dining room and basically said this may be the end. She said they would give her a shot of antibiotics and she might rally. The pharmacy delivered the shot, but there was no change. My cousin, Mom's niece came down, and she, my wife and I, stayed up with her all night. My cousin and I traded places laying with mom in her bed.

Mom's one brother had driven up from Mississippi for her party. By Saturday, her brothers, sister, niece, and other family and friends were all present. We all sat with mom and told stories.

In the afternoon surrounded by loved ones, Sandra Lewis, Mom, quietly pasted away. For the first time in years she looked at peace. I was glad that she passed at home with her family the way she wanted to.

I am heartbroken at the loss of my mother, but am relieved that her years of suffering have finally come to an end. She is with my father and at peace with God. Through all the years of suffering with this illness Mom never deviated from her amazing personality. She was always polite, loving, caring, and as sick as she was continued to worry about everyone's well-being over her own, to the very end. She was an Amazing woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment